Serve them warm and with some Ben and Jerry Vanilla Ice Cream and Mom's famous hot fudge!
Apple dumpling Biscuit Dough
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 level teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 7 heaping tablespoons of Crisco
- ¾ cup of milk
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Remove to a flat floured surface and knead the dough for two or three minutes. With a floured rolling pin roll out the dough into a flat sheet about 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat your oven to 425°
- 1 qt hot simple syrup ( 2cups water to 1 cup sugar) maybe a little extra
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 12 MacIntosh apples peeled seeded cored
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a bowl place the apples and toss with lemon, white sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Get them well coated. Spread the room temperature butter and brown sugar evenly on the rolled out dough. Place the apples evenly onto the biscuit dough. Roll the dough with the apples in it similar to a jelly roll. Cut the roll into 1 ½ inch wide wheels and lay them in a buttered baking dish. Cover them with the hot simple syrup. (Have extra syrup in case you need it to cover). Place a slice of butter from the cold stick on each dumpling. Bake for about 35 minutes or until nice and brown. Check on them.