The relish for this dish is very versatile and can be used to accompany almost anything you cook on the grill and can be served at room temperature. We actually created this as an appetizer by grilling a marinated (balsamic and virgin olive oil) portabella mushroom, placing the relish in the center and a bit of fresh Vermont Goat Cheese on top.
(4) 6-7 oz chicken breast or 8 thighs
Make a paste:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- Salt & Pepper
For the Relish:
- 1/2 cup Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 eggplant peeled and cubed(1/4 inch cube)
- 1 Red pepper diced ¼ inch
- 3 cloves rough chopped garlic
- 1 cup fine chopped shallot
- 1 bunches finely chopped green onion
- 1 cup calamata olive pulsed very lightly in robot coup
- Italian parsley 1/4 cup chopped
- 12 large basil leaves pulled apart
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 chopped fresh vine ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cups marinara sauce
Lightly sauté garlic, shallots, red pepper and green onion, olives and fresh tomatoes. Increase to medium high heat simmer for 10 minutes and then add eggplant continue cooking for 20 minutes.
Add fresh herbs and marinara sauce simmer until eggplant is tender and well seasoned 30 minutes on low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste
Mash the ingredients for the paste together and dredge the chicken in the paste, reserve chicken and let it sit for at least 2 hours refrigerated.
Prepare your 2 zone fire, go ahead and toss the rosemary stems on the charcoal. Close the lid as much as possible and grill the chicken over the direct medium heat for about 8 minutes or until the chicken is firm. Turn the chicken once or twice as needed.
Serve warm or at room temperature.