Prep time 15 minutes
Grilling time 2 ½ to 3 hr
- 1 8lb bone in rib-eye about 4 bones
- 5 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Montreal Steak seasoning (optional)
- 2 large handfuls oak wood chips, soaked in water for 30 mins
- meat thermometer (optional)
- Stand the roast on its side and remove the rib bones all together.
- Trim the fat to 1/4 inch, with the very tip of a sharp knife make a small cuts into the roast ...do not make a large incision as it will cause the juices to run. Slide the garlic cloves into the meat. Season evenly with salt pepper and steak seasoning. Take the bones and with kitchen twine tie the bones back on the rib. Let the roast come to room temperature.
- Heat your grill to a medium heat. Place the soaked wood chips in a metal bin on your over shelf inside the grill. Make sure your grates are clean and brushed well. Sear the rib on the grill on all side turning every few minutes until it is nice and browned all over about 10 minutes. If flare up occur just remove the rib until they settle down.
- Once you have browned the rib back your temperature down a little and place the rib bone side down on the less hot place on your grill. They all have hot and cooler spots. Close your lid on the grill and let the rib roast slowly. Rotate the rib 2 or 3 times until it reaches the right temp. Use your thermometer to check doneness. Medium Rare 125 degrees. Check the temp often so you are in touch with the cooking and it doesn't get over cooked.
- Let the rib sit covered at room temp for about 20 minutes, you can wrap it in foil. The juices will redistribute. The foil will hold some wonderful juices so capture those and drizzle on the meat when you serve it.
- Untie the roast and remove the bones (Uncle Jimmy will want those). Slice and enjoy there is no flavor like cooking on your outdoor grill.
If you are not comfortable removing the bones close to the meat with out slicing into the rib ask your butcher to do it for you, just make sure he gives them to you.