Safety & Emergency Procedures
Here at Proctor Gas, we want to help you enjoy the benefits of propane as safely as possible. We’ve put together this resource to help you identify concerns and educate you on what steps to take should you suspect a problem.
When Should I Contact Proctor Gas?
We’re here to meet all of your propane needs, but you should absolutely call us if you:
- Smell propane
- Suspect you have a leak in your system
- Need a propane appliance connected or disconnected
- Move, or if there will be a change in tenant status
- Purchase a new or replace an existing propane appliance
- Have plans for an outdoor project that requires digging
What Should I Do If I Think I Smell Propane?
Propane will have a strong, unpleasant smell like rotten eggs, a skunk’s spray, or a dead animal. Because propane is an odorless gas, manufacturers add this smell deliberately to help alert customers in the event of a leak.
Immediately Follow These Steps If You Smell Propane
- NO FLAMES OR SPARKS. Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, electrical switches, telephones, or cell phones in the vicinity.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect a leak.
- SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK. Call us ASAP from a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak. If you can’t reach us for some reason, call 911 or your local fire department.
- DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA. Do not go near the area until a professional determines that it is safe to do so.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane retailer or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak free. Our professionals have the experience and training to thoroughly check your system and give you the assurance you need.
Have questions? Not sure you’d recognize the smell of propane? Give us a call at 802-459-3340. We’d be happy to send you a scratch-and-sniff brochure or let you smell the propane the next time we are out filling your tank.